I braided the challah with 4 strands, although you can use the more simpler 3 strand or even a more sophisticated 6 strand!
- 1/2 c warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast (1pkg)
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp sugar, or honey
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk (save the white for egg wash)
- 4 tbsp oil (I used canola)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, pour in warm water and sprinkle yeast on top. Let stand for 10 minutes.
|Yeast sprinkled over warm water|
|Pretty simple, right?|
- Add flours, sugar (or honey), eggs, salt, and oil to yeast mixture on low for 7 minutes, or until dough is smooth, elastic, and slightly sticky.
|Ingredients being mixed together|
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl and allow to proof in a dry, warm place for an hour.
- Punch down dough to deflate, then cover to rise again in a dry, warm place for 45 minutes.
|Braided with egg wash|
- Divide dough into four equal strands. Lay side by side, and pinch together at the top.
- Take the strand furthest to the right and weave over, under, over.
- Repeat this pattern always using the strand furthest to the right; always remember over, under, over.
- Braid until the whole loaf is complete, then pinch the ends together and tuck under.
- Brush egg wash over the challah loaf and feel free to add poppy seeds or sesame seeds for a little added crunch!
- Bake for approximately 30 or until dark brown
- For assistance on braiding click here
|The finished product!|